Wednesday, November 25, 2015

My First Orphan Thanksgiving

I know I have told you about being alone on most of my birthdays. Not really alone just celebrating with strangers. No family or friends.

This is a story about my first Thanksgiving without the traditional family. Funny thing is as I look at my last 57 turns around the sun. I have only had 26 with a biological family.

This story happened when I was about 17. I had been touring for a couple years and discovered that of all the holidays one of two that NEVER have paid music gigs are Thanksgiving. No one goes to shows. No one books shows. Maybe no one but me is available to do shows.

Anyway I was outside of Dallas TX in a city called Farmers Branch. It was Thanksgiving. Feeling all lonesome and sad since it was my first one without a family, I decided to go to a Arby's and have a turkey sandwich. I got there right after dark and ordered one with a couple potato pancakes.

I sat by myself and started to eat. Looking around the restaurant I had a moment that I have now realized was a awakening of the heart of God.

Across from me to the left was a young woman with two children. A boy and a girl. On their right was a couple about in their 70's. On the right side was a man with his son. Across from him was a young woman. There was another single guy eating a couple stalls from me. I realized we were all eating the same things.

Turkey Sandwiches.

Like me they had no where else to go on Thanksgiving but also like me they were determined to have Turkey. Determined to have a Thanksgiving.

I got up and went to the counter. I asked if the manager could come up. After he did I told him my plan. I wanted 25 Turkey sandwiches kick up the fryer and bring out 20 potato pancakes and also what ever deserts they had at the time.

Oh by the way, he and the 2 other people behind the counter were invited. They were working on Thanksgiving and if any one came through the drive through tell them to come on in because the food was on me.

We we had a feast. They brought out food, trays and trays of food. I couldn't believe how much food. I was mind blowing.

I don't remember the names, I do remember the stories. The reasons we were all alone, but we weren't alone we became a family on that one Thanksgiving. A dozen complete strangers. We laughed and created so much love.

Since then I have had over 30 Thanksgivings with total strangers. Some us us have stayed in touch but most have not. One single day where people can come together and feast and laugh and be a family even if we have never met before.

Tomorrow I get to do it again. I know that most of you will be with family or friends. I will to. I can't wait to see who they are this year. I know one thing, I will walk in and not know most of them. I will walk out loving every one.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment