Monday, November 16, 2015

What is the greatest Love you can give?

I went to a Catholic boys school growing up.
I also lived about 4 blocks from my Grandparents.
I think I was about in 4th Grade.
It was spring.
We were celebrating a Catholic holiday that public schools didn't.
We lived in Flourssant MO.
My Grandparents lived behind a Grade School I had to cut through to get to their house.
It had been raining super hard.
Round ice had been falling from the sky.
I remember being very scared.
I was not normally scared with storms but this one did scare me.
I was alone in the house.
My mom worked nights in the ER and may have been there, but I tried never to wake her.
Super thunder.
All of a sudden the rain stopped.
I thought it would be better to be at my Grandparents house.
I think that was where my brother was.
He was in 1st grade.
I left the house and walked/ran to my grandparents.
I remember how fast the clouds where moving.
I wanted to get there as fast as I could.

As I was cutting though the baseball field that separated the school from my Grandparents back yard. I remember two men standing by the double doors of the school. It was so windy. I was trying to tell them that I did not go to their school. They were yelling and looking up in the air. They looked so frantic and scared. They were waving their arms and holding onto the doors.
It was so windy.
I could not hear them because of this loud sound.
I remember thinking it sounded like a train.
I was trying to yell that I didn't go to the school.
I turned to run away from them and to my Grandparents house and saw my Grandpa.
About 10 feet from me.
He was running through the field.
He looked so scared.
He picked me up and that is all I remember.
I was told that was about the time we were picked up by the tornado. He held me in his body and shielded me as we were thrown into a hill on the side of the ball field. He went head first into the hill.
I do not remember anything after the sight of him running to me.
I was told he received a concussion and lost the use of his left side and was in and out of a coma for the next two weeks of his life. I do not remember the hospital. I do not even remember the funeral. My last memory of him was of him running with that totally scared look on his face.
As he saved my life.
The life of a 9 year old kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment