Thursday, March 23, 2023

My Blood is Boiling

 I love my brain. 

I love hacking my brain.

My mentor describes the brain as having three parts. A robot, a monkey, and the controlling center.

Now the controlling center thinks it is in control, but it isn't.

The robot is the habitual part of the brain. It controls all the mechanical parts. Blood, breathing, repair. Studies have shown that the brain is more active when you are asleep than awake and it is precisely this part that explains why. 

My partner is taking a class right now and she said this morning that she doesn't want to miss a class because she doesn't want to forget all she is learning.

I told her she DOES want to forget everything. Really what she should do is work on it so often that the robot takes over and she doesn't actively have to remember any part of it. Remember learning to drive anyone? Same thing. Now we drive for a large part of the day and don't even think about it.

Think about this. Most people on the road are driving by robot also.

Now the monkey part. That is the emotional part. The ADD. Oh look some thing shiny, some thing fun. It will take you down rabbit holes all day long if you let it. 

You think you are in control but it is really like you are a rider on a elephant and the elephant is going to go where it wants to go. 

Everything you do is by emotion. You just rationalize it to think you have some control in your life.

The best we can hope for is making a game out of our tasks so our monkey brain doesn't get bored and wonder what it's missing on social media.

Now for a game. 

Ina moment close your eyes and think of a lemon.

Smell it. Look at the color. Imagine the weight. 

Now take a big bit out of it. In your mind.

Is your mouth watering? Is your face puckering?

Are you having a physical response to a totally imagined thought?

Now what if you could hack your brain for other responses? 

That is what happened to me today. A totally unreal, thought made me upset and got my blood to boil. In the end though it did cause me to write new blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment