Friday, December 18, 2015

Yeah, that's something I probably would still do.

A few years ago I was working as a stagehand at what is now Bridgestone Arena in Nashville. One of the shows coming through was the American Idol Tour. After a few hours they gave us a break or it may have been that I came back to run spot or backline for the show call, anyway we went into catering and fixed dinner. This year they had two lines one for vegetarians and a normal one. I think it was because Sanjaya Malakar, Jordan Sparks and Melinda Doolittle were all vegetarians.

I got into line and noticed I was standing behind Jordan and Melinda. They were chatting.

Melinda turns to me and say "Oh hey, How are you doing?"

I replied. "Great, Thank you."

She then asked If I was still working at Belmont.

Strange question. I told her that Yes I still worked out there occasionally, but I work everywhere.

Then I asked "Melinda, Do I know you?"

She laughed and said I must not have remembered her and it had been a few years. We had met at a Mercy Me concert held at the Belmont Gym. I had walked outside for some reason and found her and a friend of hers by the stage door. She had been the Mascot for the Belmont teams and didn't have tickets to get into the show. She was hoping to meet the band and maybe get a autograph on their way to their bus. She said I walked both of them in and introduced them to the singer, Bart Millard, and the lead guitar, Barry Graul, players in Mercy Me. Both of which I had known for a while. She said I had made such a great impression on her because of my "this is just a normal thing to do" attitude. She was totally blown away because it was her first real backstage experience. She was trying to be so cool and we were all so nice. Not what she had expected us to be.
Now I laughed. I told her I was sorry because I didn't remember doing that at all, but Bart and Berry were friends and after all, that is something I would have totally done.

I forget that mine is a world of wonder to those on the other side of the barricade.

It also always amazes me how a simple kindness is returned and remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment